JackAs you may know from a couple of posts ago, I started a project with my UE students on letters. Kids are so imaginative and clever that I knew they would flourish with this assignment. I treated this project like a real illustration job where students had to sketch multiple designs, present their strongest sketches to the art director (in this case, the class and me) and receive feedback. In real life, the AD would choose their favorite, but I had the artist be the final judge. Students loved the critique, especially after I assured them that constructive criticism was positive and helpful feedback. After the critique, students started working on their final designs, which are on 8x8" watercolor paper. I can't wait until they're all finished so I can contribute each student's letter to the playground.
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
one-eyed monster by DavidThe Drawing Lab, a book with quick and fun drawing ideas, I give the class specific activities to work on when they're done with their project, leaving no student struggling with artist's block.
It was so difficult narrowing down the beautiful sunflower drawings that LE did so I'm showing twice as many as I usually do! These were based off of Van Gogh's sunflower paintings and actual sunflowers in a vase that I set up for the students to look at. We talked a lot about texture, paint strokes, and how Van Gogh layered his colors to achieve his signature thickness. We drew together as a class, but I love how each student produced very different drawings. I required students to draw large, overlap some of their shapes (I remember I got big kudos from my art teacher when I overlapped these balloons I had painted-she freaked out), create texture on their flowers, and color their whole paper. I love it when some of the "canvas" peeks out.
Friday, November 5, 2010
Monday, November 1, 2010
As a continuation of our zoo trip, students made a painting of an animal they saw using collaged pieces. Of course, I referenced Eric Carle's beautifully textured paintings. Students first painted separate sheets (one for the background, a few for their animal) with acrylic and experimented making texture with forks, q-tips and sponges. Once the painted paper were dry, they drew their animals, cut them out and glued them. If I were to do this lesson again, I would use a more liquid paint like tempera instead of acrylic. These are the last animal-based projects for LE, I promise!
I heard about this website from the artsy grapevine a while ago where anyone can design a letter and post it online. I found it recently and thought what a fun idea it would be for all students to design a letter and get it out there. It's very imaginative and makes you think outside the box, which I think will come naturally to many students. I can't wait to see what they come up with! They're so much more creative than I am:-) Stay tuned...