Wednesday, October 14, 2009

UE: Haunted Mansions

Sofia

Harry

Palmer

Phoebe

For the month of October, I thought it would be appropriate to have students draw haunted mansions in the style of Victorian architecture. We first looked at references and discussed the common characteristics of the Victorian style homes. When they started their drawing, I challenged them not to include any ghosts, witches, R.I.P tombstones, or other iconic Halloween symbols for the purpose of focusing on the design of the house. Their intricate line work, pointy roofs, and moody colors, effectively achieved a haunting mood. I was very impressed by the details they put into their surface patterns and their patience in tracing over them in pen. It was entertaining to see their reaction when I brought in coffee for them to use as a wash over their drawing!


No comments:

Post a Comment