Wednesday, January 13, 2010

UE: Children's Book Illustration

Kyle
The Gingerbread Man

Mason
Little Red Riding Hood

Amelia
The Princess and the Pea

Kaite
The Velveteen Rabbit

Palmer
Princess and the Pea


Jack
Little Red Riding Hood

I wanted to do a lesson on illustration because as an illustrator, I have a small experience in this field (although I'm very clueless most of the time!). I showed students my paintings and they analyzed them, guessing from the mood and action what the story was about. I showed them several other illustrations by different artists and we discussed how they used visual tools to communicate the story. We talked about colors, gestures, compositions, etc. Then students picked a classic story out of a hat and designed their own illustration, using whichever medium they wanted. During the sketch phase, we had a critique where each student showed their sketch to the class and received constructive criticism. I was really impressed by their positive feedback and loving how the finals are turning out. There are many more to come so stay tuned!






No comments:

Post a Comment