Friday, October 1, 2010

MS: Van Gogh Landscapes

Maxx B.

Oli

Amelia

Daniel

Middle school's first project was based on Van Gogh's field paintings. He was a Post-Impressionist and to better understand what Post-Impressionism was about, we looked at Impressionism and discussed the similarities and differences between the two. To put it in a nutshell (and I'm no expert BTW!), Post-Impressionists still applied thick brushstrokes, but were not limited to capturing light like the Impressionists were and used color more expressively. Van Gogh was a great example because in some of his work you can sense the psychological turmoil he was going through just by looking at his vivid color palette. After our discussion, I showed several different references of Van Gogh's paintings and encouraged students to take different elements into their own landscape drawing, but I also gave them the option of focusing on one specific painting. I demonstrated how to color multiple layers of oil pastels as the foundation and then how to add strokes on top of that. When they were done, I had students go outside and do their own interpetation. I think every student was successful with this project and I hope they'll submit these for the Original Works fundraiser!

4 comments:

  1. I am consistently impressed with the quality of work your students create. These landscapes are gorgeous and so beautifully textured!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful to see people exploring their own interpretation of nature. lovely artwork!

    ReplyDelete